Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Really - you can't afford the most critical element of a great REALTOR®.

You really cannot afford the most critical element of a great REALTOR. It is not for sale, at any price. That most priceless element is trustworthiness. It is a priceless find, in any field, but most especially in the area where you likely will spend WAY more money than anywhere else.

When I speak with an auto service station I, of course, want a talented mechanic. I want to have any repair or improvement done that is legitimately in my jeep's (Ruby's) best interest. What I need, what I really, really need, is a trustworthy mechanic that will give me the honest goods -- whether it serves their best interest or not.



And, you're like me, right? You just want the truth from your professional.

If a furnace technician comes to my home, I want to hear about what is needed to keep my furnace happy and running for years to come. What I do not need is to be up-sold into a system I don't really need. And I certainly don't want someone to try to scare me into a decision not in my best interest.

When I go to my bank teller, I'd like to be honestly told what other services may be of help -- but not hear someone who has been instructed to sell me a product I don't need; or increase my credit limit when I don't use the current amount available even.

And vets. My goodness; how we need one who is sensible, clear, compassionate and understands money does factor in. Who else has felt shamed at their vet's office for not spending more money on testing or unnecessary shots or treatments? We just want the honest truth, don't we? Even if that is a hard truth. 

Next time I buy a horse (there will be a next time, right?) I really want the seller to be up front and honest with me. When I ask for steady Eddie I don't want "most of the time." It is, quite literally, my neck at stake.

I want my professional money manager to be forthright and clear about my options. It would break my heart if he sold me something because he got an extra bonus and not because he believed it would be of great benefit to my portfolio.

Is your lifetime REALTOR just as quick to tell you a home is not a good buy as they are to point out the benefits? Do they honestly run through your options with you even, and especially, if it means they will not profit from your decision? If so, keep close to that professional!

Words like transparency, ethics, integrity and honesty all fit under the banner of trustworthy. And, if your REALTOR is the real deal they would simply be unable to sleep or live with themselves if they put their paycheck ahead of your best interest. If you have the slightest doubt about any professional you're working with, run -- run out the door.

When you find a professional in any field -- but most especially in real estate -- that is trustworthy to the core AND great at what they do....well, that is gold, pure and simple. You will profit. They will profit. You will sleep. They will sleep.

No comments: